Near is looking for a Director/Senior Director of Engineering to lead and scale our lean engineering organization. You will report directly to the CTO and sit on the leadership team. This is a unique opportunity to own, build and lead a team, and ensure that we are continuously driving technical value without compromising stability.
- In collaboration with the engineering leads, set and articulate the technical vision and direction for multiple agile teams working to deliver the next generation platform.
- Work closely with Product and Data Science counterparts to review and evolve the engineering teams’ KPIs that focus the teams on building great product that address productivity, efficiency, satisfaction and competitive differentiation.
- Use communication and collaboration tools to provide a high-level of visibility and transparency around KPIs, design, backlog and results to executive and other teams.
- Manage resources across multiple agile teams, ensuring that each team is strategically aligned and fully owns their area of responsibility.
- Embrace and evangelize the Lean Startup principles of KPI-driven development.
- Work to constantly challenge and improve existing infrastructure and processes to accelerate the feedback loop.
- Provide line management for all direct reports, complete annual reviews and conduct performance management for the engineering team.
- Recruit, motivate, mentor and lead a high-caliber team on an ongoing basis.
- 10+ years of overall experience, with at least 3 years of managerial role.
- Experience with highly scalable systems and hands-on experience in big data technologies.
- Experience in a fast-moving, growth-minded startup, and are comfortable with needing to be flexible and adaptable as requirements change.
- Strong leadership skills including vision-setting, goal-setting, coaching, team building, empowerment, and cross-functional communication.
- Thorough and current understanding of technologies and frameworks, especially should be strong in Java.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage all aspects of the software development life-cycle in an Agile environment.