The Head of DevOps for Near is the leader of entire DevOps and oversees all activities of all the devops managers and devops engineers. His duties are to oversee the day-to-day activities and to support the business’s data centers, software, applications platforms that service the entire business. It is a demanding role that requires the candidate to be capable of leading cross-functional teams in a hands-on manner, diagnosing complex issues on the various platforms, and playing a leading role in software, platform, application architectural evolution.
The Head of DevOps demands extensive programming experience and has served extensively the business’s sites, software, applications at a production and support capacity. The Head of DevOps demonstrates superior troubleshooting skills and has extensive knowledge in monitoring and alerting mechanisms.
- Oversees and guides all activities of the junior DevOps teams.
- Leads the design, build, and operational management of highly secure and scalable sites/software for the business and works tirelessly to guarantee the reduction or removal of bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the DevOps department and engineering department as a whole.
- As the leader of the DevOps department, the Head of DevOps promotes, documents, and implements systems infrastructure best practices, building tools that allow the department to develop and deploy impeccable sites/software. The Head of DevOps also creates tools that leverage productivity amplifiers such as code generators and schema repositories for scalable deployment.
- Responsible for quality assurance and continuous site/software testing.
- The Head of DevOps plays a mentorship role to key DevOps personnel, constantly promoting improvement in their professional skills and readying them for the occupation of his position in the future.
- Head of DevOps will also play a strategic role responsible for design and build infrastructure for sites/software, ensuring the highest levels of security and responding swiftly to any new and emerging vulnerabilities and security threats.
- Responsible to create tools and automated workflow capabilities in order to enable the business’s software engineering teams to test and promote code across the engineering department. The Head of DevOps also builds, configures, and maintains the frameworks, tools, and systems that enable optimal performance of the business’s sites/software.
- Responsible to work hand-in-hand with the frontend and backend engineering teams in all technical operations and works to reduce or eliminate any repetitive or manual tasks.
- Head of DevOps also works with junior DevOps personnel in improving health and performance issues of the businesses sites/software systems.
- Collaborates with the quality assurance department in creating solution designs, capacity planning, and performance optimization.
- Head of DevOps further works alongside senior engineering departmental leadership in deploying sites/software.
- Other Duties: The Head of DevOps also performs similar duties as delegated by the Head of Engineering, Head of Platform and Data Engineering, Head of Automation, Chief Technology Officer.
- Education: Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electronics or other relevant field.
- Experience: Overall 12-15 years of IT experience out of which 5-7years in DevOps Manager and Leadership role, working within a fast-paced and fast-evolving environment. He will also have had vast and successful experience leading a DevOps team.
- Candidate is expected to have exceptional problem solving, analytical, organisation and people management skills with a detail-oriented attitude.
- The candidate will further have a demonstrated experience in enterprise network technologies as well as experience working in a large database operation environment.
- The candidate must similarly demonstrate vast experience writing code and have experience in the automation, configuration, and application performance management tools such as Ansible, Nagios, NewRelic, Nagios, Graphite, cacti and Ganglia etc. The candidate must additionally demonstrate strong system-level troubleshooting skills and possess an ability to identify and resolve high-level scalability and performance issues.
- A suitable candidate for this position will also demonstrate a superior and practical understanding of accepted DevOps principles.
- Strong understanding of Security, Transport and Application layer.
- Prior experience in setting up a instances in Data center and Cloud environment especially AWS and associated best practices.
- Excellent high level knowledge of the Unix operating systems(CentOS preferred), and very good system troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working with Web, Internet & Load Balancing and Big data technologies.
- Good at administration of Big Data ecosystems - hadoop, hive, spark, airflow etc.
- Experience or familiarity with database technologies - Redis, HBase, MySQL, mongoDB and Cassandra.
- Must have experience in configuration management tools - Puppet, CHEF, fabric, and Ansible.
- Must have experience in any one of the programming languages - Python/Ruby/Perl - Python is more preferable.
- Experience with Software Engineering Lifecycle, and Handle deployments on a large scale.
- The Head of DevOps will also be highly capable of deploying sites/software with Puppet, Salt, Ansible, and so forth as well as hands on experience with tools such as Hadoop, Kafka, Mesos, Spark, Storm, Elasticsearch, and Cassandra.
- Interpersonal Skills: candidate must be capable of handling multiple simultaneous projects and meet deadlines, have an ability to work in a group setting as well as in an independent position, be highly analytical by nature, be highly organized being able to effectively prioritize tasks, have exceptionally good problem solving skills, have an ability to work in a highly collaborative and fast-evolving environment, be highly adaptive and welcoming to change.
- Leadership/People Skills: The Head of DevOps must have exceptional leadership skills and be a people person with an ability to develop strong, meaningful, and lasting relationships with others. He will be a likable, approachable, and relatable person who inspires trust in others who will then readily follow in his directives and trust in his insights.